Sunday, October 7

Standing at the crossroads

You know how they always say, "Dreams can come true" and when you see other people's dreams coming true, suddenly, you have this hope in your heart that someday yours will too.
Then you start to dream ambitious and actually work hard to achieve it.

Then one day, your parents ask you, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" It wasn't a random question you ask a 5 year old anymore, it has become the deciding question.
10 years ago, I would've answered "A Baker."
5 years ago, I would've said "A writer."
3 months ago, I would've told you with my utmost confidence "A physiologist/sports psychologist."
Today, I have no idea.

I'm standing at a crossroad at going for my dreams or going for my parents' pride for me.
They say "You can achieve anything as long as you follow your dreams."
Then you realise, you can only achieve your dreams only after you've completed the path set out by your parents.

So my dad wants me to follow in his footsteps and my 3 other cousin's into taking a Law Degree. He told me all about the advantages of having a degree in Law and how I can be a leader of the country, something like that. When I told him that I really want to take up sports science and psychology, he said that courses like that are too wide of a field.

He suggests that I take Law as my main and something else as my complimentary. I do think it's a fair idea but I just don't think if I'm up for political analysis and stuffs. Hmmm..

What should I do? Please my parents instead of living my dream? Why can't I do both?

Anyways, I still have a year at least to go before I actually have to make the final decision.
Quoting my mum when I told her I can't wait to graduate,
"Take one day at a time"

No comments:

Post a Comment