Monday, November 20

Fall(ing)





I feel nauseous, she thinks to herself as she takes another gulp of the house filter coffee. She tries to persuade herself that the caffeine surge is the reason for the uneasy feeling inside her and not because of him. He sits across her, at another table, sitting comfortably while immersing himself in his book. His beanie, hoodie and Timbaland boots combo screams: "I'm a low-key hipster and I know it." On his table, a mug of coffee, a pen and a paper. Probably to write down his thoughts from whatever he is reading, she thought to herself as she glances sneakily while avoiding eye contact with him. She concluded that he must be reading a self-help book on how to seem intelligent in the millennial era. At least he is kind of working it, another thought.

She also thinks that she should pluck up the courage to talk to him. Besides, they're the only two people reading in this coffee shop. With the bookshelves lining the wall and exposed bricks creating an ambiance that encourages one to sit down and reflect, they're the only two people holding up books and reading. Well, at least she is trying to. Everyone else around her are busy engaging in conversations or checking up on social media with the free WiFi. Maybe, she thinks, that she should strike one up as well. With him. A total stranger.

Alright, I should. I'm a woman of the 21st century. I should have the confidence to talk to guys. Empowerment. Confidence. Don't say anything stu- "Hey, what book are you reading?" an unfamiliar voice emerged from the room and seemed to be directed at her. Trying hard to look casual and not surprised from the question, she looked up. "Oh, just a book about death." As she shows him the front cover of her Mitch Albom's book. Way to sound cool, she said to herself. He gave her a puzzled look, probably trying to find a way to continue this conversation that took him 15minutes to muster the courage for and could only mumble "Grool." He wished he could die then and there.

"Grool?" She asked back, trying not to laugh.
"Yeah, wanted to say great but decided to say cool last minute. Guess my brain couldn't get to my mouth in time." He said as he feels his ego slowly fading away. Please don't think that I'm a creep, he begs to whoever is listening.
"Isn't that from Mean Girls?"
There was a pause.
"Yeah, ha ha. Thinks it helps in situations like this."
"Grool." She smiled at him. It was her "Help, I'm nervous and I don't know what to say" smile. 
Oh God, she just gave me that "I think you're weird" smile. Abort mission, abort- "So what are you reading?" she asked back.
Relieved, he explained how his book is teaching him about being a successful millennial.
Another pause.
She decided to take her stuff and move to his table. A bold move but she figured it was better than trying to talk across tables and over other people's conversations. Plus, she thinks this direct move should show that she is interested. "Easier to talk if we're on the same table" she explains to his slightly shocked but delighted face.

"I'm Mark, by the way," he said before the conversation goes too far to insert an introduction.
"I'm Kira," she said as she gives him her "I'm happy this is happening smile".

I'm happy this is happening too, hoping his smile says the same.





No comments:

Post a Comment